Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Solitary Chair -- Reflections From The Upper Room

Jesus Washing The Feet of His Disciples, by Albert Edelfelt
Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under His power, and that He had come from God and was returning to God; so He got up from the meal, took off His outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist.  After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, “Lord, are You going to wash my feet?” Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” 


“No,” said Peter, “You shall never wash my feet.”


Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with Me.” ~ John 13:3-8, NIV

On the church calendar, today is known as Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday, commemorating Jesus’ last supper with His disciples.  In the upper room that night before they ate, Jesus humbled Himself and did something shocking for His friends -- He washed their feet.  The ever impetuous Peter instantly balked at the mere thought of such a thing.


How would we feel, if Jesus came to us with basin and towel in hand?  I wondered….and felt moved to write about it.

The Solitary Chair

In my heart's home and my mind's eye, there is
a room;
A room with two chairs in which You wait for me
Each day.


You call my name......


Some days I come to You,
Some days I pass on by;
Too busy.


Or pretending I don't hear......


Today, Your voice invites
Me to
Come and spend some time
with You.


As I step through the door I see
a chair;
A solitary, lonely chair.




You smile and welcome me
to sit;
A towel is wrapped around
Your waist.


You hold a basin filled
with water;
Steam rising from it to
Your face.


I hesitate......


Confused
Unsure
Anxious


What is this that You have for me?


But to the chair I walk
and sit.....


Now with a look of compassion upon Your face,
for me,
A look which I just 
cannot comprehend, 


You kneel 
before me! 


Taking my feet --
My dry, dirty, shoeless, 
ugly feet --
Into Your beautiful, gentle, yet
powerful hands, 


And place them in
the basin.....


"OH NO!," I cry,
I don't deserve such honor, such tenderness;
I don't deserve such love from You,
Almighty King.


I am shaken
Humbled
Embarrassed even.


But there You are......


Choosing to take on the role
of bondservant,
Choosing to take Your place
at my feet!


Touching them
Washing them
Cleansing them.


Cleansing me......


Removing my feet from
the water;
Your once clean hands now stained,
From the dirt and filth
and ilk
That was once on me;


But now transferred 
onto You......


You take the towel from around
Your waist,
And proceed to dry
my feet.


From top to bottom, each and 
every toe;


Slowly
Deliberately
Tenderly
Lovingly.......


Your eyes, with Your sweet
unwavering gaze, 
pierce my heart to its core;


I am overwhelmed......




Overwhelmed by the love I see
in them.


Immense
Amazing
Unfailing
Unconditional


Who am I
that You would do such a thing
for me?


I am a forgiven sinner.


A recipient of Your grace and mercy.


I am Your Beloved. 





11 comments:

  1. My God! This was absolutely beautiful! Keep allowing God to use you in your writing. Also, thank you for the comment you left on "Remember" post. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment, Sandra! I have to tell you -- this post has one of those 'head shaking' stories behind the writing of it, which I'll have to share with you when we get together! Truly a 'God thing.'

    Much love right back at ya!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, beautiful. So tender. I love the way you took us right through the whole process...I hope you link this up to Strawberry Roan, OK? Love,you Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn,

    Thank you, my friend. <3

    Much love and blessing to you, bloggy BFF,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam - once the tears stopped flowing, I had to thank God for your gift in this poem. What a blessing! You have done something special here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, thank you, sweet Shanyn! I'm humbled to hear these words touched you in such a manner, which I've got to believe was the Lord's intention when He gave them to me. It's a privilege to write for Him.

    Have a beautiful day, dear one; and THANK YOU for mentioning this post on your Strawberry Roan blog. I SO appreciated that!

    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the repost Pam...what an absolutely exquisite piece. You put me there...in the chair opposite him and I felt his tenderness and compassion and love with "each and every toe"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl. Your comment means so much to me.

      Delete
  8. Pam, truly these love words are a result of an Epiphany of Jesus, Healer, Lord and Lover of our Soul. Praying we all have an encounter with the Holy Risen One in these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU so much, Jeannie, for such a lovely and heartfelt comment. And, after reading your recent Facebook status, is going to have me really pondering on the true meaning of Epiphany. :)

      Delete
  9. Thank your my dear friend, this is beautiful. The visual is umbelivable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...